Data Services Architecture Group (DSA)
Information Communications Technology
The Database Services team is primarily responsible for the design, development, implementation and maintenance of diverse relational databases in support of scientific research projects undertaken by various bioinformatics groups within the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
Additionally, the team also provides bespoke database solutions to various groups within the Institute’s Management Operations.
The types of relational database management systems in use are: Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server and PostgreSQL.
The team is made up of a multi-disciplinary group of professionals with expertise ranging from software development, database design and development through to implementation, administration and maintenance.
The team supports and maintains more than 500 database instances, spread over 20 physical servers and 100 virtual machines with over 400 terabytes of storage.
Core activities of the team include:
- Provide bespoke database solutions to scientific research and Management Operations groups.
- Provide advice to Institute’s researchers and software developers on database schema design and query optimisation, to help them to design and use their databases more efficiently.
- Monitor all database systems 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with automatic notification by email and text to notify of any issues – This helps resolve identified issues in a timely manner.
- Create and maintain real-time replicas of all mission-critical databases at an off-site facility to aid disaster recovery.
- Daily backup of all databases to tapes.
- Run training courses on database use and operation to customers within the institute.