The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leader in genome research that delivers insights into human, evolutionary and pathogen biology. We seek to change science and medicine through the following nine ambitions:
- To conduct leading-edge research.
- To develop new scientific leaders.
- To lead on major challenges.
- To support an ecosystem realising benefits.
- To change clinical practice.
- To share our expertise.
- To enable public dialogues.
- To champion an open research culture.
- To shape standards and policy.
In order to achieve our vision and deliver on our mission to “use information from genome sequences to advance understanding of biology and improve health”, we commit to:
- Being an “ideas factory” identifying new frontiers of biology and application to be explored through genome sequences.
- Being at the leading edge of the development, application and implementation of genomics technologies.
- Conducting research characterised by large-scale data production that cannot be easily carried out elsewhere.
- Being expert in aggregation, analysis and interpretation of large quantities of genomic data.
- Initiating and participating in major national and international collaborative research initiatives.
- Incubating the next generation of scientists and clinicians in genome research.
Sanger Institute Highlights 2020-21
In the Wellcome Sanger Institute Highlights 2020/21 we showcase the key discoveries and future research interests of our Scientific Programmes, each exploring a major area of research with a particular biological, disease or analytic focus. The studies provide vital insights into human, parasite and microbe evolution, cellular growth and activity, and the processes that underlie mutation and tumour formation. In addition, the Sanger Institute’s Tree of Life Programme explores the diversity of complex life.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute Highlights document also explores how the Sanger Institute promotes, supports and disseminates genomic knowlege and practices to benefit academic research, medical practice and society, by utilising:
Previous Sanger Institute Highlights documents
Please click on the images below to download our previous annual highlights.
2019/20 Sanger Institute Highlights
To download the Wellcome Sanger Institute Highlights 2019/20 interactive PDF, please click on the link below
Find out more
2018/19 Sanger Institute Highlights
To download the Wellcome Sanger Institute Highlights 2018/19 interactive PDF, please click on the link below
Find out more
2017/18 Sanger Institute Highlights
To download the Wellcome Sanger Institute Highlights 2017/18 interactive PDF, please click on the link below
Find out more