baton |bəˈtän| noun, A short stick or staff or something resembling one.
Client programs and API for use with iRODS (Integrated Rule-Oriented Data System).
baton is a supplement to the command line client programs (ils, imeta etc.) provided with a standard iRODS installation. Its focus is metadata operations for iRODS collections and data objects. baton is spelled with a lower case letter 'b'.
The features it provides are:
- A single JSON format for listing results, composing queries and performing updates.
- Listing of data objects and collections as JSON, including their metadata (AVUs), file size, access control lists (ACLs) and creation and modification timestamps.
- Queries on metadata, on access control lists (ACLs), creation and modification timestamps and timestamp ranges. The full range of iRODS query operators is supported.
- Optional unbuffered IO for IPC via pipes, with fine-grained error reporting for batch operations.
- Simplified API over the iRODS general query API to ease construction of new custom queries.
- Downloading data objects as files or embedded in JSON (if data object content is UTF-8).