We carry out our research both here at Sanger and at our fieldsites in Uganda and Mali. We are working to answer the following questions using a variety of genomics tools from whole genome sequencing to single cell RNAseq.
- How has natural selection shaped the genomes of wild mosquitoes, and what is the impact of this on parasite transmission and vector control?
- How do human malaria parasites behave inside of the human host to enhance their probability of transmission?
- How will gene drive work in the face of so much genetic diversity segregating within African Anopheles species.
- What genes are important for determining mosquito susceptibility to human malaria parasites? And how much does this depend on the parasite genotype and the bacteria/viruses/fungi inside the mosquito?
- How does mating status of a female influence her susceptibility to malaria parasites?