Sample Summary Page
- Welcome to the sample summary page. This page provides
an overview of all the information, stored in COSMIC, associated
with the selected sample.
- This page is divided into twelve main sections:
- The sample name can be derived from a number of sources.
In many cases it originates from the cell line name. Other sources
include names assigned by the annotators, or an incremented number
assigned during an anonymisation process.
COSMIC Sample id
- This id is used to identify a sample within the COSMIC
database. It is assigned as the samples are curated. There can
be multiple ids, if the same sample has been entered into the
database multiple times. More information on this can be found
on the additional information page, which is available from the
- The sample features table lists details of a tumour sample
not applicable to the entire tumour from which the sample was
- This section is composed of a two column table, showing a
detailed classification for the sample. The methods used to
determine this classification can be found on the additional
information page, which is available from the COSMIC homepage.
- Another two column table that describes various features of the tumour
from which the sample was obtained.
Genes Tested With Mutations
- This list shows all the genes, exhibiting mutations, that have
been screened in this sample. Clicking on any of the gene names
will link to the summary for that gene.
External Data Sources
- This section lists other web sites that contain pertinent
information on this sample. Each entry is usually followed by a
direct link to the sample information.
- The references section shows all the references that have
mentioned the selected sample. It shows the title, authors, journal,
year, volume, pages and pubmed id for the paper. Clicking on
the pubmed id will link directly to pubmed. Clicking on the
'More Details' link will display a complete overview of the
reference, including all the samples and genes that are linked
- The studies section lists all studies performed by the Cancer Genome
Project that have included this sample.
- Clicking on the [More Details] link will produce an overview of
- The final section of this page provides information about the
individual from which the sample was obtained. This is often left
as 'unknown' because many of the samples are obtained anonymously.
Genes Tested Without Mutations
- This tabbed table lists all the genes, exhibiting no mutations,
that have been screened in this sample. Clicking on any of the gene
names will link to the summary for that gene.
Any More Questions?