The Sanger Institute is located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, adjacent to the village of Hinxton, nine miles South of Cambridge.
Each year, the Genome Campus receives almost 24,000 visitors, from around the globe. We have developed local transport links to help staff reach the Institute as conveniently as possible.
Our address is Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA, UK. Tel: +44 (0)1223 834244.
Please register your arrival with the campus Security Reception at the Campus main South entrance. This is located on the left before the security barriers and gatehouse. Security staff will have details of all appointments with external visitors. You will be provided with a temporary pass for the duration of your visit. You must return this before you leave.
Access to the Sulston and Morgan buildings is a short walk away from the security reception building.
By Car or Taxi
- From the South: leave the M11 at junction 9 and take the A1301 towards Cambridge. From the Stump Cross roundabout take the first left (about 800m). At the next small roundabout follow the signpost for the ‘Genome Campus’.
- From the North: leave the M11 at junction 10, eastbound on the A505 (note that M11 junction 9 is restricted and accessible from the south only). Travel a mile or so in the direction of Saffron Walden to a roundabout and take the third exit (A1301 towards Saffron Walden). Pass two turnings to Hinxton, and take the next right, a small roundabout, signposted to the ‘Genome Campus’.
Satnav: CB10 1SA
By Public Transport
- Cambridge Station (about 20 minutes drive) is on the main line from London Kings Cross.
- Whittlesford, Great Chesterford (both about 5 minutes drive) and Audley End (about 15 minutes drive) stations are on the line from London Liverpool Street to Cambridge.
Journey time to all stations from London is under an hour.
Please note that Whittlesford and Great Chesterford stations do not have a taxi rank or telephone. Please use either Cambridge or Audley End stations if a taxi has not been pre-booked.
Timetables are available from Network Rail.
The Citi 7 bus is the only regular route passing Hinxton, from Cambridge to Saffron Walden via Sawston. Check timetables.
National Express coaches stop in Cambridge city centre. National Express Coaches.
- Take cycle route 11 southwards. The route passes through the Shelfords, Sawston, and over the A505 where a cycle path runs to the village of Hinxton.
- At the end of the cycle path, turn right into the village. Follow the main road through the village (sharp left after 200 metres) until you come to a T-junction. The north gate of the Genome Campus is opposite, with an intercom to connect you to security.
From Whittlesford train station
- If you are coming on a train from London, cross over the footbridge over the train tracks. Follow the road on that side, cycling past the pub and the council gravel yard. The road bends to the right and uphill to join the main A505.
- Turn left onto the cycle path towards the roundabout (300 metres) and there turn right at the crossing before the roundabout to get you onto cycle path next to the A1301, heading south towards Saffron Walden (the BP services will be on your right).
- Turn right into the village at the end of the cycle path, follow the main road through the village (sharp left after 200 metres) until you come to a T-junction. The north gate of the Genome Campus is opposite, with an intercom to connect you to security.
From Great Chesterford train station
- Using mainly cycle routes: Follow the road that exits the station, at the end turn left. Take the first exit on the left: the road forks almost immediately, take the left fork over the railway lines. Rejoin the main road and follow this into the village of Ickleton. Once in the village, take your first exit to the right (before the village shop) onto Church Street. Follow this road all the way out of Ickleton (it takes many turns), over the level crossing and along the river Cam. After 600 metres, you will find, on your right the north gate of the Genome Campus. This features an intercom to connect you to security.
- Alternate route, not a cycle route: Follow the road that exits the station, at the end turn left. Stay on this road, following it through and out of the village of Great Chesterford until you reach a roundabout: take first exit. At the next two roundabouts, go straight ahead, taking the exits signposted for Cambridge. You will reach another roundabout. Take the first exit, signposted "Genome Campus", and take the immediate left turn into the car park. Adjoining this car park is security reception, where you can register your arrival. Please note that this route carries more traffic than the above and includes junctions with the M11 motorway.
- London Stansted is about a 30 minute drive to Hinxton.
- London Heathrow and London Gatwick are about a 2 hours drive.
- London City and London Luton are approximately 1 hours drive.
Our Stores Team manage our deliveries to Goods In. For delivery information please see our Stores page.