Employees from Overseas


If you are a non EEA (European Economic Area) national without the right to work in the UK and you are offered employment with the Institute it will be necessary for you to obtain a visa before you can commence that employment. To apply for your visa you will need to visit the UK Visas and Immigration website for application guidance and forms. Please contact recruit@sanger.ac.uk for further advice and help.

If you are a visiting worker who will not have an employment contract with the Institute you can obtain information on the visa for which you need to apply by visiting the UK Visas and Immigration website.

If you are unsure what type of visa you require please contact the HR team at recruit@sanger.ac.uk for further advice.


Your entitlement to access the National Health Service [NHS] treatment depends on the length and purpose of your residence in the UK, not your nationality. Visitors will not be required to pay the surcharge. Non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationals who apply to come to the UK to work, study or join family after 6 April 2015 for a period of more than 6 months will have to pay a health surcharge when making their visa application. This health surcharge will also be paid by non-EEA nationals who are already in the UK and apply to extend their stay after 6 April 2015. For details about the Health Surcharge; how it works and how much you have to pay please see: Immigration health surcharge: information for migrants.

If you are entitled to it, you can receive treatment immediately. There is no qualifying period. It is advisable to approach a GP practice and apply to register onto its list of NHS patients as soon as possible after taking up residence in the UK. There may be charges for some NHS services, for example, your dental treatment, and you may be entitled to help with these charges. Some hospital treatment is free of charge for everyone who needs it, regardless of how long they have been or intend to stay in the UK e.g. the treatment for accident and emergencies. Some people from abroad who are not ordinarily resident in the UK can also receive all NHS hospital treatment free of charge. Please see below links for more information on eligibility to health care through the UK National Health Service and how to access it.

Workers who have an employment contract with the Institute and who have 6 months employment service are given the opportunity to join the Institute's private health care scheme. This provides membership to one of the premier private health schemes without any direct cost to the employee; members can also opt to add dependants to the scheme at their own cost. The policy and cover provided by this scheme is not intended to cover all eventualities and is designed to complement rather than replace all the services provided by the National Health Service (NHS). The policy covers treatment of medical conditions that respond quickly to treatment and is not intended to cover you against the costs of recurrent, continuing or long-term treatment of chronic conditions.

Income Tax, National Insurance, Opening a Bank Account and Pensions

A general guide for Wellcome Trust Sanger Insitute (WTSI) overseas employees can be found here. It provides foreign nationals with information on working and living in the UK including, payment of salary, income tax, national insurance contributions and opening a bank account.

* quick link - http://q.sanger.ac.uk/zi2emdu8