Immigration and the Life Sciences
Sanger Institute's responses and positions on Immigration and the Life Sciences
The Sanger Institute's response, submitted on 20 December 2018, to the UK Government's 'The UK's future skills-based immigration system'.
The white paper sets out the UK Government's plans to introduce "a new single immigration system, ending free movement" after Britain exits from the European Union.
In summary, the Wellcome Sanger Institute's position is:
- Loss of freedom of movement risks harming UK science
- Inclusion of EU citizens in the new visa requirements will increase our operating costs 170% and will make recruitment harder.
- We strongly oppose the introduction of a £30K earnings threshold.
- The removal of the Tier 2 Visa Cap is a welcome improvement.
- There should be a dedicated visa route for visiting scientists.
To read our full response, please download our PDF:
To read the UK Government's white paper, please click here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-uks-future-skills-based-immigration-system