Aspiring Leaders in Science
Wellcome Sanger Institute Scientific Education & Excellence Development (SEED) Scheme: Aspiring Leaders in Science programme
For Post-doctoral Fellows and Staff Scientists considering the next step, this 2-day residential course (with half-day follow-up) provides insights and guidance from speakers in academia, industry and start-ups.
- Designed for: Post-doctoral Fellows and Staff Scientists considering their career options
- Programme length: 2 consecutive days with a half day follow up
- Features: Interactive; residential; guest speakers (from academia, industry and start-ups); key contribution from a Principal Investigator (PI)
- Key topics: Career options in a research environment; communication; influencing and managing relationships; managing in a system; managing others
- Price: £1,495 (excluding accommodation and dinner costs) - payment by invoice
- Date: TBC
This residential programme will outline various aspects of the career choices available and the skills needed for both application and success in different types of organisations.
You will have the opportunity to network with each other through activities and discussions. A key component of the programme is the contribution of a number of team leaders from industry, start-ups and academia. The invited speakers will candidly share their personal leadership stories, including both successes and challenges. Additionally, there will be an interactive dinner with invited team leaders from various research orientated organisations and sectors.
Topics covered by the course
The course will cover the following areas of management and leadership:
- Communication and influencing skills and strategies
- Negotiation skills and case study
- Understanding and managing oneself
- Situational leadership - developing an understanding of the techniques to get the best from others
- Talks from invited speakers who lead research groups in pharma, start-ups and academia
- Interactive dinner with guest team leaders
To book your place
To book your place, please complete the online application form below.
Please contact the Learning and Development team if you have any questions or would like further information.
Call: 01223 496964