Life at Sanger
Life at the Sanger Institute is unique. We are tackling some of the most difficult challenges in genomic research. This demands science at scale; a visionary and creative approach to research that pushes the boundaries of our understanding in new and exciting ways.
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, our people are shaping the future by delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Imagine what it would be like to work for a research institute that placed an importance on work-life balance, cared about you as an individual and put it all into practice? At the Sanger Institute, the focus on wellbeing is part our culture.
We offer excellent benefits and pensions. Working here is more than just salary and bonus plans. It is a unique experience where collaboration, innovation and support for people as individuals in the Sanger community are demonstrated in everything we do.
We have over 1,200 people at the Sanger Institute, from 70+ nationalities. We come together as a community of world- class thinkers and professionals. We know that the success of our institute depends on our people. We embrace everything that is unique about individuals by drawing on their different skills and perspectives.
We look after and nurture you throughout your whole career journey. Whilst we work very hard at what we do, we understand the importance of having time for family, friends, and, of course, yourself. We are proud to deliver a campus-wide employee wellbeing strategy and programme. The importance of good health and adopting a healthier lifestyle and the commitment to reduce work-related stress is strongly acknowledged and recognised everywhere. We provide a wellbeing programme that offers proactive and preventative self-help through participation in workplace interventions.
Recognising our employees work and contribution is a primary goal. One of the ways we achieve this is through our “Stars for Science” quarterly awards. Employees are encouraged to nominate peers, colleagues, and managers for the awards with winners receiving monetary recognition.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits and pension provision you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
- Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
To find out more about our Genome Wellcome Campus, see here.