Management in Action
Wellcome Sanger Institute Scientific Education & Excellence Development (SEED) Scheme: Management in Action programme
Designed for established managers with more than 18 months' management experience, this 4.5 day course held over 3 months builds your abilities to communicate with impact, motivate others, understand team dynamics and use emotional intelligence.
- Designed for: Established managers with more than 18 months management experience
- Programme length: 4.5 days over 3 months
- Features: Interactive; executive coaching; personality psychometric; ILM endorsement (optional); action learning set
- Key topics: Team dynamics; communicating with impact; emotional intelligence; influencing and motivating others
- Price: £1,995 - payment by invoice
- Dates: Modules 1 & 2: 11-12 June 2018, Executive coaching: 4 or 5 July 2018, Action Learning Set: 27 July 2018, and Modules 3 & 4: 25-26 September 2018
This highly interactive programme is suitable for established managers, senior leaders, postdoctoral fellows (those with 18 months management experience), including those with no direct line management responsibility, but whom are managing projects and who are required to influence and motivate others in their network.
This programme will help managers be clear about their roles and responsibilities in delivering a vision through effective leadership. The programme includes an option of certificate endorsement from the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) and personality psychometric assessment. The programme will be focused on understanding the core skills and behaviours of leadership as you try new behaviours and skills in developing your team.
Modules of the course
The course will cover the following areas of management and leadership:
- Module 1: Identifying as a leader. Your leadership style, your legacy and what holds you back. Understanding the link between our emotions, our behaviour and the results we get. Understanding what "triggers" our emotions and strategies for handling them. The key to changing behaviour.
- Module 2: Managing others. Working effectively with people who think differently from you and understanding how to motivate. How to flex your behaviour in order to meet others' needs. The key questions you should ask before trying to influence someone.
- Module 3: Team dynamics. Attitudes and beliefs of a high performing team. Situational Leadership and fostering creativity and decision making in a team.
- Module 4: Leadership communication. How to build trust in a team. Setting mutual expectations. Appreciation as an act of motivation. Listening skills and coaching skills. How to have a difficult conversation.
This course will be followed up with Action Learning Sets and Executive Coaching.
To book your place
To book your place, please complete the online application form below.
Please contact the Learning and Development team if you have any questions or would like further information.
Call: 01223 496964